Google Checkout is an offsite payment and billing service provided by Google Inc.
When a customer is ready to checkout, they simply click the Google Checkout button in the shopping cart, and it sends them to a Google Checkout page. All shipping, billing and customer details are completed by the customer on the Google Checkout page.
Orders are sent securely back to Shopp on your website and updated in your order management list. Google Checkout requires that your site is SSL enabled and that it has a valid SSL certificate. This is due to Level 2 integration that Shopp does with Google Checkout.
Google Checkout Sandbox Account Setup
To test your site using the Google Checkout sandbox environment, you will need to set up a sandbox buyer account and a sandbox merchant account.
See the Sandbox testing documentation on the Google Checkout Merchant Help site.
Setting Up a Google Checkout Account
To use Google Checkout, signup for an account. Once your account is created:
- Login to Google Checkout and click the My Sales link at the top of the page.
- Select the Settings tab.
- Click the Financials link from the menu and provide your bank account information. Your bank account must be setup and confirmed with Google in order for Google Checkout to work properly.
Google Integration Settings
Proper integration settings will ensure that Shopp operate best with Google Checkout. To set up your Google Merchant account Integration settings:
- Log in to your Google Account and select Settings → Integration.
- Enable Shopping cart post security.
- Enter the API callback URL. Don’t worry if you don’t have this URL right now. This URL will be generated, for you to cut and paste to this setting, when you save your Google Checkout settings in the Shopp Payments Setup admin page.
- Select Notification as XML under Callback contents.
- Select Version 2.5 under API Version. Do not enable Notification Filtering.
- Save your settings.
- Also on this screen, you will need to take note of the following for your Shopp Payments Settings:
- Google merchant ID
- Google merchant key
Google Checkout gives you a few options for handling taxes on your orders. If you want Shopp to handle the taxes of your orders, skip these settings.
If you wish to use Google’s tax settings, and not those in Shopp, you can configure your Google tax settings in your Google Account under Settings → Tax setup.
Google Checkout also provides a few options for adding shipping rates to your orders. If you want Shopp to handle the shipping rates of your orders, skip these settings.
If you wish to use Google’s shipping settings, and not those in Shopp, you can configure your Google shipping settings in your Google Account under Settings → Shipping setup.
Shopp Payments Settings
In your WordPress admin, located under Shopp → Setup → Payments, add Google Checkout as a payment option, and complete the following:
Getting your API callback URL
Copy your Google merchant ID and Google merchant key into the Google Checkout settings in Shopp. You can obtain this information by logging into your Google Checkout account and clicking Settings → Integration. They will appear under Account Information.
- If the Google merchant ID and Google merchant key are from the Google Checkout sandbox, also select Use the Google Checkout Sandbox.
- Save your Payments Settings.
- If you have the correct Google merchant ID and Google merchant key entered, Shopp will display an API callback URL. Copy this URL to your Google Account by logging into your Google Checkout account and clicking Settings → Integration.
Completing Shopp Settings for Google Checkout
Now that you have copying your API callback URL into your Google account settings, complete the rest of the Shopp settings for Google Checkout.
Select the size and style of button you would like displayed on your site including:
- Small (160×43)
- Medium (168×44)
- Large (180×46)
- White background
- Transparent background
Other Google Checkout settings in Shopp:
- Select Automatically charge orders if you would like orders to be charged immediately upon receipt of new orders. This is useful particularly for shop’s with all digital goods where product fulfillment is instant. Select Use Google tax settings if you desire to set up the tax settings in your Google Account, and not use Shopp’s built-in tax behavior. You will not to set up taxes in your Google Account to use this option.
- Select Use Google shipping rate settings if you desire to set up shipping rates in your Google Account, and not calculate shipping rates using Shopp’s built-in shipping rate calculators, or online shipping rate add-ons.
Troubleshooting Google Checkout Issues
Many problems can be determined by checking the Google Integration Console. To view the Google Integration console, log into your Google Account and click Tools → Integration Console. If Google is having a problem with your site, frequently errors will appear here.