Themes that do not have support for one or more custom menus cannot use this feature.
One of the most powerful organizational tools in WordPress is the custom menu feature. The WordPress custom menu feature can be used to create navigation menus on your site, and gives the WordPress site owner an easy way to have full control of items that appear in each navigation menu. Your WordPress theme designer can add support for custom navigation menus4, setting the location of the menu in your layout, as well as the look and feel of those menus on your site, while giving you the ability to decide what content links will be added to each menu.
Shopp integrates with the WordPress custom menus feature, allowing you to create menus in your WordPress layout quickly and easily with links to Shopp generated content. The WordPress customer menu feature can be found in the WordPress Admin under Appearance → Menus.
Shopp supports adding access to lots of different storefront content into your theme’s menus:
- Catalog Pages, includes the storefront pages: Store, Account, Cart, Checkout, Confirm Order, and Thank You.
- Catalog Collections, includes the preprogrammed smart collections of products, such as: Catalog Products, New Products, Featured Products, On Sale, Bestseller, Recently Viewed, Random Products and any Promotions Collections created from applying promotional discounts to products in the catalog.
- Products, to add specific products from the catalog to your custom menus.
- Catalog Categories, to add your custom product categories to your custom menus.
- Catalog Tags, to add your product tag collections to your custom menus.
When Shopp is activated, the menu options are available in your WordPress custom menu system, however you may need to enable each menu item type, by clicking the Screen Options menu at the top of the Menus admin page, and checking the boxes for the Shopp menu items. This will add a panel to your Menus admin page for each Shopp content menu item type. These panels will usually appear along the left side of the Menus admin page, along with the other menu settings panes.
In their respective panels, Shopp will display individual products, product categories, product tag collections, smart collections, and catalog pages for you to select.
These Shopp content panels function much in the same way the menu items for WordPress content do, with tabs for most recently created products, most used product categories and product tag collections, etc., a tab to view all of the menu items of that type, or search for the particular product, category, tag, collection, etc. that you would like to add to your menu.
To add a Shopp content menu item to your custom menu:
- Create a new menu from the Menu Management Pane, which usually appears at the top of the Menus page, on the right side. Give the menu a name in the field labeled Menu Name, and click the Create Menu button.
- Add Shopp content items from their panels in the menu settings on the left, either by dragging the items into the Menu Management Pane, or by clicking the box next to the items you wish to add, and clicking the Add to Menu button, located at the bottom of each pane.
- Edit any menu options you want to change.
- Rearrange the menu item order by dragging the menu items around.
- When you are done making changes, click the Save Menu button.
For instance, to add a product to one of your menus, select a product from the Product pane on the left, and drag it into the Menu Management Pane. Alternatively, check one or more products in the Product pane, and click the Add to Menu button to add it to the current menu.
Now you are ready to add the new menu to your WordPress theme’s layout. If the author of your WordPress theme added support for one of more custom menus in your WordPress theme layout, you can select your new menu for one of these menus, by selecting it from the Theme Locations pane, usually located on the left side of the Menus admin page, at the very top.