PayPal’s IPN and PDT setup helps to ensure that orders are fully processed both on PayPal’s side and fully captures in Shopp’s Order system.
To start using PayPal Website Payments Standard:
- Setup a Verified PayPal Premier or Business Account. If you have an existing Personal account, you can upgrade your account to a Premier or Business account.
- Confirm your email address, which verifies the email address where PayPal sends payment receipts and account emails. (You might have done this already if you upgraded your account.)
- Provide and confirm your bank account information, which allows you to easily withdraw funds.
- Add your Social Security number to remove the monthly withdrawal limit for transferring funds to your bank account.
- Setup Shopp’s PayPal Standard settings
PayPal Instant Payment Notification (IPN)
Important: With PayPal Website Payments Standard, the Instant Payment Notification (IPN) API is the primary means for PayPal to communicate payment to your Shopp store. In Shopp 1.0.18 and prior, you will not receive orders from Paypal in Shopp without this enabled on your PayPal account. You must enable IPN in your PayPal account, from your PayPal account site, go to My Account → Profile → Instant Payment Notification preferences:
- Click Turn On IPN on the PayPal site.
- You will then be prompted for a Notification URL, which should be your store site catalog page (Shopp will override this URL to a proper URL for receiving notifications).
- Save your Settings
After enabling IPN notifications, you should also see a link to the IPN History page in the first paragraph of the page. This link is useful for resending IPN messages if necessary to your Shopp store. We recommend enabling Debugging Messages in the Shopp system log (enable and view at WP-ADMIN → Shopp → Settings → System on your Shopp site) to log how Shopp handled payment notifications that were received.
PayPal Payment Data Transfer (PDT)
In order to prepare your Shopp installation to received PDT information, you will want to enable it on your PayPal account, and your Shopp Payments settings.
PDT Setup Instructions
- Log into your PayPal merchant account
- Go to My Account → My Profile → My selling tools → Website Preferences
- Set Auto Return to On
- Add your Shopp site’s catalog page to the Return URL (Note: what you put here doesn’t matter, it is overridden by the PayPal API calls from Shopp)
- Set Payment Data Transfer to On
- Scroll down & Save your Settings
- Go back into Website Preferences
- Copy your Identity Token (under the ‘Payment Data Transfer’ header)
- Log into your WordPress admin
- Under Shopp → Settings → Payments → PayPal Standard, enable Order Verification
- Paste your Identity Token into the field labeled “PDT identity token for validating orders.”
- Save your Payment Settings